About Me

My Photo
Well let’s see. I was born during the Blizzard of 1978 in Lima, Ohio. I have lived in Ohio all my life. I like it here. We have corn fields instead of oceans, overpasses instead of mountains and fog instead of smog. Sure it's not the promise land, but sometimes one doesn't need postcard worthy beauty on the outside to have it elsewhere. I'm a writer for fun, a Paralegal for profession, and while one pays the bills, one feeds my imagination, or perhaps my imagination feeds my writing...either way, Writing is as much of who I am as the color of my eyes, or the way that I smile. Blogs are great communication tools, and I'm here to communicate with YOU...yeah, you who's reading this right now....*assuming anyone's out there* *crickets chirp* Alrightee then, IF anyone should find themselves here, be it by accident or on purpose, welcome, glad to have you aboard. Throw anchor, stay awhile! Sunshine & Smiles, ~Heather Lynn~

Monday, July 23, 2012

Learn Something New Everyday:



Recently I learned a new term:  "Cat Calling".  Which can be defined as:

When a guy gives the wert whirl whistle or yells at a babydoll for the purpose of getting attention and in hopes of a future hookup. This is usually done out of the window of a car. Typically a Pontiac Firebird, or Camaro.

There was a whole segment on one of those Entertainment shows about what it's like to be a woman walking down the streets of NYC, getting unsolicited attention from men.

They sent a pretty redhead walking down the street, wearing a lovely dress that hugged her hips and accented all her womanly assets.  Nothing too provocative, but striking nonetheless.

As she walked along, men called out to her.  Over and over again, no matter where she went, she was hollered at, whistled at, stared down, approached, targeted, etc. by the men on the street.

The crazy part is when the news camera and reporter popped out and then asked the guys why they said what they did, what they hoped to come of it, and if they were single.

Many of them weren't single.  Most of them admitted that they did NOT receive much luck in obtaining "hook ups" with girls they cat called-out to...and most of them when asked, "If this was your mother, your sister, your DAUGHTER walking out here, would you want strange men calling out to them, saying the things you've said?"  They all looked embarrassed and said "No, I guess I wouldn't".

Here at my office, the Adult probation office used to be right next door, so many times as I made my way from my Court to the Courthouse down the street, men would approach me, say things like "daaaamn baby!" and "niiiiiice" and "Oh the things I'd do with YOU!"  Which I'm no supermodel, so if it's being said to me, it's being said to all women everywhere I'm sure. 

I know it's supposed to be a "compliment", but mostly, cat calling makes me feel "unsafe", "nervous", "uncomfortable", "creeped out", "harassed" and "skiddish".

What is it about some men that has them being so loose lipped to women they don't know?  Why is cat calling exclusive to men?  I've never heard a woman call out to a man on the street the way men do.

Care to share your cat calling experiences anyone?

Has it ever worked on you, or guys, worked FOR you?

I'm curious!

Talk to me.

~Heather Lynn~


2 comments :

  1. Try living on St. Kitts! The men would "hiss" as you walked past. Very distinct sound :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen - ewwwwwwwwwww....like creepy kitties! I wouldn't of like that either! Ick!

      ~hl~

      Delete

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear your thoughts...AND...while I may be slow, 99% of the time, I'll leave you a comment back! So get interactive would ya!? :) xoxoxxo, ~hl~