About Me

My Photo
Well let’s see. I was born during the Blizzard of 1978 in Lima, Ohio. I have lived in Ohio all my life. I like it here. We have corn fields instead of oceans, overpasses instead of mountains and fog instead of smog. Sure it's not the promise land, but sometimes one doesn't need postcard worthy beauty on the outside to have it elsewhere. I'm a writer for fun, a Paralegal for profession, and while one pays the bills, one feeds my imagination, or perhaps my imagination feeds my writing...either way, Writing is as much of who I am as the color of my eyes, or the way that I smile. Blogs are great communication tools, and I'm here to communicate with YOU...yeah, you who's reading this right now....*assuming anyone's out there* *crickets chirp* Alrightee then, IF anyone should find themselves here, be it by accident or on purpose, welcome, glad to have you aboard. Throw anchor, stay awhile! Sunshine & Smiles, ~Heather Lynn~

Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday, the freaking 13th it tis:

Yep, while doing a little online research to the mythical folklore of Friday the 13th, I finally realized why in the past I've have such atrocious luck....and as it turns out...I'm cursed.



LEGEND HAS IT: If 13 people sit down to dinner together, one will die within the year. The Turks so disliked the number 13 that it was practically expunged from their vocabulary (Brewer, 1894). Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue. Many buildings don't have a 13th floor. If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck (Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names). There are 13 witches in a coven. (http://urbanlegends.about.com)

So my name...Heather Osting, guess how many letters that has...yeah, go ahead and count em...THIRTEEN!

So I join in the ranks of Charles Manson, Theodore Bundy Alber De Salvo....Jeffrey Dahmer!!! C'mon, dang-it, I don't want to be lumped in with those psychos!


Although, if ever I was looking for an explanation for my series of unfortunate events in my life....I suppose I have discovered a scapegoat. A reason for my misfortune. And I'm going to kick my mom's butt for this....any expectant mothers out there....take note, don't give your daughter the luck of the devil....do the math, check your numbers and check them twice...it just may determine if your child is naughty or nice...as i clearly was very naughty growing up!


WAIT! HOLD THE PHONE.....upon further research...maybe I'm wrong....I just did a little more research and look at what it says:


"Devil's Luck"(The): Astounding good luck. Persons always lucky were thought at one time to have compounded with the Devil.

You won't have to pay his annuity very long; you have the Devil's luck in bargains, always.” -
Dickens.

But would we say Charlie Manson was lucky? Or Jeffrey Dahmer..I mean that dude was beat to death in prison....*scratches head*... So which is it, am I lucky or predetermined to be a serial killer? All these superstitions are conflicting.

Oh, and listen to this...I found this story highly entertaining:
LEGEND HAS IT: Never change your bed on Friday; it will bring bad dreams. Don't start a trip on Friday or you will have misfortune. If you cut your nails on Friday, you cut them for sorrow. Ships that set sail on a Friday will have bad luck – as in the tale of H.M.S. Friday ... One hundred years ago, the British government sought to quell once and for all the widespread superstition among seamen that setting sail on Fridays was unlucky. A special ship was commissioned, named "H.M.S. Friday." They laid her keel on a Friday, launched her on a Friday, selected her crew on a Friday and hired a man named Jim Friday to be her captain. To top it off, H.M.S. Friday embarked on her maiden voyage on a Friday, and was never seen or heard from again.

Hence why you don't mess with things you don't understand. If I've got the devil's luck, well then I got it....now....it's up to me to use to for good instead of evil, and hope like hell I don't piss the devil off in the process.


Happy Friday the 13th all! Strap on your crash helmet, wear your seat belt and throw some salt over your shoulder for good measure!
~Heather Lynn~

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear your thoughts...AND...while I may be slow, 99% of the time, I'll leave you a comment back! So get interactive would ya!? :) xoxoxxo, ~hl~