About Me

My Photo
Well let’s see. I was born during the Blizzard of 1978 in Lima, Ohio. I have lived in Ohio all my life. I like it here. We have corn fields instead of oceans, overpasses instead of mountains and fog instead of smog. Sure it's not the promise land, but sometimes one doesn't need postcard worthy beauty on the outside to have it elsewhere. I'm a writer for fun, a Paralegal for profession, and while one pays the bills, one feeds my imagination, or perhaps my imagination feeds my writing...either way, Writing is as much of who I am as the color of my eyes, or the way that I smile. Blogs are great communication tools, and I'm here to communicate with YOU...yeah, you who's reading this right now....*assuming anyone's out there* *crickets chirp* Alrightee then, IF anyone should find themselves here, be it by accident or on purpose, welcome, glad to have you aboard. Throw anchor, stay awhile! Sunshine & Smiles, ~Heather Lynn~

Monday, March 11, 2013

I tell ya, if its not one thing, it's another....



So I hate going to the Dr.

Yes, I'm not a fan...as I suspect many of you aren't as well.  So I know you'll understand when I tell you that I have a really bad habit of "waiting out" a condition.  I basically have something come up..and then I wait to see if it goes away.  Standard Operating Procedure for an Osting...especially an Osting who grew up with never having health insurance.



The only Health Insurance we ever had was our Dad telling us if we get hurt, we better not come crying to him because he would NOT take us to the hospital...so whatever we broke, we better know how to fix ourselves, or learn to live without the function of that particular body part.  It was good advice, because I never broke a bone growing up.  I once was hit in the face by a door that was hit by a buffalo and knocked unconscious and had a black eye and bloody nose when I woke up, so to say it was a miracle that's all that was wrong with me, is an understatement.  Buffalo are very temperamental creatures for those of you who are unfamiliar with the animal.  Anyhoo....



So my family has a really really extensive history of "thyroid problems".  Which sucks, and I've had mine tested several times, one time it came back bad, the next two times, it came back fine.  However, I have nearly EVERY SINGLE symptom of hypothyroidism.  No kidding...like every single danged one of those suckers...well, except for low sex drive....but I think that particular symptom is counteracted by the fact that I'm an "Osting" and due to some research on the subject, I apparently come from a long ling of sex maniacs! Some people look up their family trees and find out that they immigrated from Ireland, or that they come from a long line of Blacksmiths or something cool like that..."I" on the other hand come from a long line of hotblooded red haired sex maniacs.  Awesome right?....but again, I digress....

The point I'm trying to make...is that due to my family history of Hypothyroidism, and the fact that I have all the symptoms, I've been trying to get to the bottom of my symptoms, and have been yet to do so.

My former Endocrinologist disappeared for awhile...and there was rumor that he went to India, and never came back..then I heard he was run out of his practice, then I heard he was "missing"....I don't know the truth on the matter, but I heard he's alive and no longer practicing in Lima.  Soooooo...I never followed up with him for my follow-up appointment last year due to all of the craziness surrounding his whereabouts.  My symptoms were tolerable at that time, so I didn't want to make a fuss.  Now....flash forward to the last three months....

I'd been noticing that my hair was falling out in large amounts when I took a shower....I mean, I'd clog the drain about 3 times in a matter of minutes....it was ridiculous.  Yet, I thought...It'll go away....Perhaps I'm just shedding my "winter coat" like a dog, or a horse or something....



yeah....that's not really the case I'm guessing.  So finally i made an appointment to go back to the Dr.  This morning at 7:00 a.m.  But in the meantime, while I was waiting for my appointment, I played Dr. and took matters into my own hands...and this my friends is where the funny happens.  I should never be left to my own devices....

First I decided to try some herbal remedies:  So after some research I found that honey and cinnamon were a great combination to take for all kinds of ailments...so I bought honey from a local bee farmer, I bought some ground cinnamon and was excited to start my new regimen of herbs and honey.  THEN....I found that Coconut Oil ALSO does amazing things for hair, and skin and nails, and weight loss.....it's like a miracle food.....according to the internet...and we all know "they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true"....french models aside... *winks*


So Then I read that Green Tea is good for you...so I got some green tea and decided to start drinking that.  Oh, I was so excited for my new healthy supplements.  That's when I got the brilliant idea to combine all of them together!  A nice coconut oil, cinnamon  honey green tea cup of awesomeness.  I heated the water, I steeped the tea bag, I spooned in the honey, melted the coconut oil, and last but certainly not least, I measured out a tablespoon of ground cinnamon, and put it into the hot steamy liquid.

I stirred it all together.....and I stirred, and I stirred.....and stirred some more....but the danged cinnamon wouldn't dissolve.  I stirred and stirred until my arm was tired and then I asked my mom "What the hell's a'matter with this danged cinnamon?  It won't mix into my tea!"  My mom who's engrossed in a television program just shrugs her shoulders and says "you should of mixed it in the honey, and then you wouldn't even taste it"....

"Well I already put it in my tea, it's too late for that....I don't want to waste it!  This stuff wasn't cheap!"

So I decide to drink it....with a half of an inch of powdered cinnamon on top....and some good ole Coconut oil laying just beneath it.  "here goes nothing" I say as I bring the coffee mug to my lips.

{INSERT COUGHING, GASPING, SNORTING, CHOKING, BITTER BEER FACE HERE}



It was horrible....I mean, OMG, horrible.  My mom starts laughing at me....as I'm nearly dying ....

"What's the matter"....she asks

I say between breaths and gulps of horribleness "The Cinnamon...it's sooooo horrible!?!?"

I open my mouth and there's cinnamon everywhere, under my tongue, in between every one of my teeth, it's in my nasal passage, cinnamon powder was coming out my nose....it was terrible!

My mom then says to me "Well don't drink it then!"

I wince in pure cinnamon hell and say "I can't waste it, I've come this far....I'm going to finish it!"  And finish it I did, but it was easily one of the worst drinking experiences I've ever been part of.  So please don't do what I did...I'll let you in on a little secret, they sell cinnamon in capsules, and you can just swallow those down easy-peasy!  So please kids, don't make the same mistakes I have....cinnamon coming out of your orifices is unpleasant to say the least!

And this is the FIRST story of two crazy home remedies I tried this weekend....I'll tell you the next one perhaps tomorrow!

Keep your noses clean,
Until tomorrow,
~Heather Lynn~

2 comments :

  1. I have to tell you that reading this was a hoot!! I wish I'd started reading your blog MUCH sooner...seems I've got a LOT of catching up to do! I've contemplated started a blog from time to time, but always felt that I'd be the only one reading it. (not that I'd necessarily mind that...I get a kick out of me) Anyway...I'm definitely going to be reading more of what you have to say!!

    Bonjour!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, BONJOUR! :)

      So glad you popped over to have a read today, I have blogged quite a little bit here on the ole blog site, but not so much lately....I always get it in my head that nobody reads it anyway, just like you! :) But when I have the urge to write, it's here that I visit. So glad to have you here reading...make it worthwhile to know somebody actually does read! Feel free to catch up all you like! And pass the blog along to anyone you feel might want to read it also.

      You can't put anything on the internet that isn't true, so I can wholeheartedly believe that you enjoyed this post! haha

      ~HL~

      Delete

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear your thoughts...AND...while I may be slow, 99% of the time, I'll leave you a comment back! So get interactive would ya!? :) xoxoxxo, ~hl~