About Me

My Photo
Well let’s see. I was born during the Blizzard of 1978 in Lima, Ohio. I have lived in Ohio all my life. I like it here. We have corn fields instead of oceans, overpasses instead of mountains and fog instead of smog. Sure it's not the promise land, but sometimes one doesn't need postcard worthy beauty on the outside to have it elsewhere. I'm a writer for fun, a Paralegal for profession, and while one pays the bills, one feeds my imagination, or perhaps my imagination feeds my writing...either way, Writing is as much of who I am as the color of my eyes, or the way that I smile. Blogs are great communication tools, and I'm here to communicate with YOU...yeah, you who's reading this right now....*assuming anyone's out there* *crickets chirp* Alrightee then, IF anyone should find themselves here, be it by accident or on purpose, welcome, glad to have you aboard. Throw anchor, stay awhile! Sunshine & Smiles, ~Heather Lynn~

Thursday, April 18, 2013

With Respect to Generations that Came Before Us:



I like to consider myself the kind of girl who doesn't get too easily "annoyed", I like to try to keep my wits about me, keep calm and NOT let things get to me, but lately, there's been something that has really pushed me over the edge....

IT ALL STARTED the other night while watching the UFC fights with Jerimy.  Which any of you who have watched UFC fights know that the commercials and advertising are all geared toward men....their most obvious audience.  Well, there was a particular Energy drink company that was one of the major sponsors of  these fights and they must of played their commercial 100 times during the course of the evening.  But that's not what drives me insane....not seeing the same commercial 100 times, it's what the commercial said that literally makes me CRINGE!

Now before I tell you WHAT was said, I want to explain WHY what was said annoys me so much.  Have you guys ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"?  if not, here's the premise of the movie:

Luke Wilson takes part in an experiment where he's frozen and wakes up 500 years later into a world populated by dumb people.  The theory being that as our world turns, our population is breeding "intelligence" out and dumb people eventually will be the only ones left inhabiting the earth.

So when Luke Wilson arrives on the scene, he's deemed the smartest person alive.  It's not the premise of the movie that bothers me so much as the idea that it might hold some truth that has me up in arms.

You see, in the movie, they stopped drinking water and only drank this Gatorade substance, water was only used in toilets.  Everyone spoke this strange dummed down version of English, people's names were product endorsements and everyone was so stupid it didn't occur to them to mind.

Here, watch this:

ok, now that you've watched that, watch this:

Is it just me, or is there a striking resemblance between the two videos?

I'm sorry, but every single time I hear "it's got electrolytes", I CRINGE!

We got tired of saying "how are you" so we changed it to "sup"?  Really?

It's ok that we say "sup" but should we be proud of it?

I get that it's supposed to be ironic, I get that it's a gimmick and not to be taken seriously, and the commercial does, what it's supposed to, get people talking about a product, which is exactly what I'm doing right now, but man, every time I hear "it's got electrolytes", it's like nails on a chalkboard and it makes me worried, that Idiocracy was on to something.

Think about how people used to speak, with very proper English, everything was formal including people's clothing.  Now fast forward to the present....we're saying 'sup' and wearing pants BELOW our butts and sometimes never get dressed at all, just wear our Pajama's everywhere.  Our Ancestors are probably rolling over in their graves at the way we've allowed our society to slide into such a state of indifference.
I believe in individualism, I believe in self expression, I believe in humans being human and experimenting and creating, evolving....but what happens when our society has no standards, no cares, nothing to strive for, nothing to live up to, and nobody to change the trend?

This concerns me.  Where are we headed?

Not trying to be preachy or anything, I don't think I'm smarter than anyone, I don't think I'm better than anyone, I just think there's a lot to be said about where we come from, and I think we owe it to ourselves to keep standards high, to preserve the English Language, to show more respect in how we dress and how we speak, and for the LOVE OF GOD, STOP SAYING 
"IT"S GOT ELECTROLYTES!!!"



Please and Thank you,
Sincerely,
Yours Truly,
~HeatherLynn~

If you haven't watched Idiocracy, I recommend that you do.  If for no other reason than to write to me and tell me I'm wrong and we could never turn into a world of idiots. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear your thoughts...AND...while I may be slow, 99% of the time, I'll leave you a comment back! So get interactive would ya!? :) xoxoxxo, ~hl~