About Me

My Photo
Well let’s see. I was born during the Blizzard of 1978 in Lima, Ohio. I have lived in Ohio all my life. I like it here. We have corn fields instead of oceans, overpasses instead of mountains and fog instead of smog. Sure it's not the promise land, but sometimes one doesn't need postcard worthy beauty on the outside to have it elsewhere. I'm a writer for fun, a Paralegal for profession, and while one pays the bills, one feeds my imagination, or perhaps my imagination feeds my writing...either way, Writing is as much of who I am as the color of my eyes, or the way that I smile. Blogs are great communication tools, and I'm here to communicate with YOU...yeah, you who's reading this right now....*assuming anyone's out there* *crickets chirp* Alrightee then, IF anyone should find themselves here, be it by accident or on purpose, welcome, glad to have you aboard. Throw anchor, stay awhile! Sunshine & Smiles, ~Heather Lynn~

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Empty Nesters



So my hubby and I are officially empty-nesters...you know, parents with no kids at home.  Now, while I fought like hell to keep from being an empty-nester {ie:  Begged E to go to the Ohio State Branch and NOT go off to college}...and I was so so sad when he then left us...I've got to say it has it's perks too.

For instance, when I have to pee in the middle of the night, I do not have to put on pants....or any clothes at all for that matter!  I just throw back the covers and go....no matter my state of dress...be it naked, or what have you.....I don't know about you guys, but this is a major SCORE in the world of me.

Oh and E**** if you're reading this luv, know that I love you and this is in no way meant to mean that I'm happy you ditched us for a life of your own! {laughs}

My BFF and I were talking the other day, she recently moved away from here....and we discussed the empty-nest situation.  She mentioned being uneasy about the idea of it being just her and her husband again.  Especially since they are so far away from everyone they know....like it will LITERALLY JUST BE THE TWO OF THEM.  And you know, I was like her too when I was faced with it, like what if it's not the same?  I mean, kids, like it or not, completely affect the dynamic of a relationship.  Hell a major part of your life is little league games, and choir concerts, and baseball meetings and what have you....so to not only lose the kid in your home, but also your lives being so dependent on one another, it's a shock to the system.  And it is a little worrisome when faced with such a big change, but I have found that I am really enjoying it just being the two of us!  It's kind of like we're teenagers again, or like people in our early 20's and dating.  Ok, so we still don't have the ENERGY of people in their 20's...but you know what I mean.

When losing a child to college, you also lose some other pretty neat things, like dishes in the sink, laundry in the basket, shoes on the living room floor....crowded parking at your house.  There's one less person to fight over the remote with, food in the fridge seems to last like 100x longer....you realize quickly foods that apparently only your son likes, because suddenly, you realize nobody is eating that food when you are throwing it out because it expired.  This of course being the EXACT same food that disappeared at record speed previously.  Milk, bread and eggs suddenly are in much lower demand, and your laundry detergent seems to really go a lot further!

While I do miss the kid, and I love him just as much as ever, it's just one of those things when you realize you have to let them go, you have to let them grow up and turn into the person they are going to be.  Learning to love from afar is really hard at first.  You feel like a piece of your soul is missing, but before long, you're starting to adjust and when you walk naked, or nearly naked to the toilet, you might find yourself even slightly a little jazzed!

Don't fear the empty nest....because I tell you, change, while scary, isn't always bad!  I'm really excited to see how this "just me and husband" time will be spent!  I can only hope that it will make us MORE reliant on one another, have more time for "us"....and find joy in each other's company on a newer, more intimate level.....something about knowing it's just the two of us, seems to resonate through the whole house, making that empty bedroom where a teenage boy once lived...a whole lot less sad!



And when I do get sad, I tell myself, summer break will be here before you know it, and then he'll be home for months!  And that will be a whole new set of adjusting and re-adjusting! lol


Yours Truly,
HeatherLynn

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear your thoughts...AND...while I may be slow, 99% of the time, I'll leave you a comment back! So get interactive would ya!? :) xoxoxxo, ~hl~